University of Tennessee Research Foundation (on the campus of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, TN)
The Memphis office of UTRF is seeking a Technology Manager with a background in life science or chemistry to manage the commercialization of early stage discoveries. Reporting to the Vice President of UTRF, the Technology Manager will be involved in all aspects of the technology transfer process. Specifically, the Technology Manager will be responsible for:
- Building relationships with research groups across campus to identify potential IP and increase invention disclosures.
- Performing comprehensive evaluations of inventions, including determinations of patentability, commercial potential, and path-to-market.
- Managing patent preparation and prosecution. This includes selection of external patent counsel, working with the inventors to file applications prior to publication dates, and managing ongoing prosecution.
- Developing and deploying marketing information to attract licensees. In addition to preparing written materials, the Technology Manager is expected to communicate concise summaries of inventions and their primary benefits at face-to-face meetings and networking events.
- Commercialization agreements. This includes preparing and exchanging term sheets, contract drafting from UTRF templates, and negotiating with prospective licensees.
- Overseeing active licenses to ensure licensee compliance.
- Promoting and supporting faculty and student entrepreneurship.
Due to export control restrictions the successful candidate must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien with a green card.
- Doctoral degree in life science or chemistry (or a related field).
- 2+ years full-time experience in technology transfer.
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple projects.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to quickly understand unfamiliar research and technologies.
- Familiarity with intellectual property law.
- Experience working in/with technology startup(s) or startup incubators.
Please apply with cover letter, resume, and references.
UT Research Foundation
Regular Full-time, Pay Grade 44