Technology Manager/Assistant Technology Manager:
The Knoxville office of UTRF is seeking a Technology Manager/Assistant Technology Manager with a background in life science, chemical sciences, or physical sciences to manage the commercialization of early stage discoveries. Reporting to the Vice President of UTRF, the Technology Manager will be involved in all aspects of the technology transfer process. Specifically, the Technology Manager will be responsible for:
- Building relationships with researcher to identify new intellectual property.
- Performing comprehensive and strategic evaluations of technologies, including determinations of patentability, commercial potential, and path-to-market.
- Managing patent preparation and prosecution. This includes selection of external patent counsel, working with the researchers, patent coordinator to file applications prior to publication dates, and overseeing ongoing prosecution.
- Developing and deploying an effective marketing strategy to attract industry partners.
- Negotiating commercialization agreements.
- Overseeing active licenses to ensure licensee compliance.
- Promoting and supporting faculty and student entrepreneurship.
The Technology Manager will support a culture of engagement and belonging by treating others with dignity and respect at all times and by exhibiting conduct that reflects a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The successful candidate will respectfully communicate and cooperate with all employees and will complete all required diversity awareness training to enhance knowledge and eradicate racism in the workplace.
- Doctoral degree in life science, chemical sciences or physical sciences (or a related field).
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple projects.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to quickly understand unfamiliar research and technologies.
- Due to export control restrictions the successful candidate must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien with a green card.
- Familiarity with intellectual property law.
- Experience in agricultural biotechnology.
- Experience working in/with technology startup(s) or business incubators.
To receive full consideration, candidates must apply electronically with a resume and cover letter.
Compensation will be commensurate with qualification and experience, and includes a generous benefits package.
Please apply with cover letter, resume, and references.
UT Research Foundation