Technology Manager/Assistant Technology Manager:
The Memphis office of UTRF is seeking a Technology Manager / Assistant Technology Manager with a background in life science or chemistry to manage the commercialization of early stage discoveries. Reporting to the Vice President of UTRF, the Technology Manager / Assistant Technology Manager will be involved in all aspects of the technology transfer process. Specifically, the Technology Manager / Assistant Technology Manager will be responsible for:
- Building relationships with research groups across campus to identify new intellectual property.
- Performing comprehensive evaluations of inventions, including determinations of patentability, commercial potential, and path-to-market.
- Managing patent preparation and prosecution. This includes selection of external patent counsel, working with the inventors to file applications prior to publication dates, and overseeing ongoing prosecution.
- Developing and deploying marketing efforts to attract licensees.
- Negotiating commercialization agreements. This includes preparing and exchanging term sheets, contract drafting (from UTRF templates), and direct negotiation with prospective licensees.
- Overseeing active licenses to ensure licensee compliance.
- Promoting and supporting faculty and student entrepreneurship. Position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position is ideal for the following candidates:
- Postdoctoral scientists seeking a technology transfer career
- Attorneys with a technical background
- Pharmaceutical/biotech scientists
- Experienced technology transfer professionals
Due to export control restrictions the successful candidate must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien with a green card.
- Doctoral degree in life science or chemistry (or a related field).
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple projects.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to quickly understand unfamiliar research and technologies.
- Familiarity with intellectual property law.
- Experience working in/with technology startup(s) or startup incubators.
Please apply with cover letter, resume, and references.
UT Research Foundation