Business Incubator (Knoxville Campus)
In addition to education, The University of Tennessee system serves the State of Tennessee in a myriad of ways. It is integrally involved in outreach, economic development, and research that add value to Tennessee. As part of its mission to establish UTRF as a recognized leader in tech-based entrepreneurial support the University of Tennessee Research Foundation (UTRF) provides the UTRF Business Incubator (Center) as a resource for early-stage tech firms that are spun out of university research.
Mission and Goal
The mission of the UTRF Business Incubator is to assist entrepreneurs of technology start-up companies by offering a programmatic approach to executing their business opportunities. As part of this, affordable business space in an environment that supports entrepreneurialism is offered through our facility. Companies can then focus their limited resources and capital toward the development of their business and maximize the value of their opportunity.
The goal of the Center is to move a company through a technology business development process toward self-sustainability while building a more entrepreneurial community.
- Office suites ranging from 148 – 793 sq.ft. (utilities included)
- Onsite Business Incubator Coordinator
- Access to copier/printer/scanner/mail services/fax machine
- Conference rooms with AV capabilities, Polycom (for conference calls)
- Projection monitors
- Conference room furniture
- UT Affiliate status
- Unlimited access to building with UT ID card
- Access to campus library services
- Discounts at university/area retailers where UT I.D. card is honored
- Access to university laboratory space (as available through a separate agreement)
- Common kitchen area
- Wireless internet
- Wiring for broadband and telephone access
“The Incubator provided the space and the facilities that we needed to have the infrastructure to grow. It has provided some key relationships for us. This has been a wonderful opportunity for Arkis to get started and to grow to the success that we’re having.”Chad Seaver, CEO, Arkis Biosciences
Companies seeking entrance to the UTRF Business Incubator must meet the following criteria:
- The company must be for-profit.
- The company must be technology based.
- The company must have an affiliation with UT. Ideally, the products produced by the company would be based on UT intellectual property, or a research relationship is either in place or could be established with the university to generate new intellectual property.
*These criteria are mandatory and do not guarantee admittance. A review board must evaluate and approve all applications.