The University of Tennessee Research Foundation (UTRF) is announcing a call for submissions for the eleventh annual UTRF Maturation Funding program. Proposals are due into your Campus Research Office by 5:00 p.m., October 19, 2018. The program helps UT researchers further develop technologies that have the potential for commercial success. Up to $15,000 in direct costs will be awarded to the highest ranking proposals.
- Open to all UT researchers, faculty, staff and students at all campuses and institutes.
- Projects must be related to an existing UT invention/creation disclosure, OR a proposal can be accompanied by a new UT invention/creation disclosure.
- All proposals should generate new data that validate the technology and increase its commercial readiness. They should clearly describe how the expected results will increase the commercial opportunities for the technology.
- Proposals that only generate basic research results should not be submitted.
- Identification of potential commercial partners for collaboration on this proposal is encouraged.
- Proposals should describe the technology and its existing data, plan of work, expected results, budget, and an assessment of how the expected results will increase the commercial opportunities for the technology.
- Funds should be directed to labor, materials, and services necessary to achieve the proposed deliverable(s). Indirect costs are not allowed.
- Funds may not be used for PI salary but may be used for student, post doc, or technical staff support.
- The proposal should not exceed 3 pages, excluding references, which may be included as a 1-page appendix. Therefore, the proposal plus the appendix must not exceed 4 pages.
- The proposal should be received by the campus-specific research office (through CayuseSP/Evisions) by 5:00 p.m., October 19, 2018.
A panel of technical and business experts from inside and outside of the university will rank-order projects based on the following criteria:
- Demonstration of a path for commercial development
- Market potential
- Stage of development
|Proposal receipt by your Research Office||Oct. 19, 2018, at 5 p.m.|
|Awards announced on or before||Dec. 5, 2018|
|Project start date||Jan. 2, 2019|
|Project completion date||Oct. 4, 2019|
|Final report due||Oct. 25, 2019|
To date, more than $960,000 in awards has been made to more than 60 projects.