The University of Tennessee Research Foundation (UTRF) is seeking a technology transfer intern to work in the UTHSC Office of Technology Transfer. UTRF facilitates the transfer of inventions from the research labs to the private sector, providing public benefit of new products that result from academic-research funding. This process, referred to as technology transfer, involves a combination of science, business and the law. The role of this intern will be to assist the UTRF Licensing Associates in screening, evaluating, conducting patentability analyses, and performing market research on new technologies developed at the UT Health Science Center.
The UTRF Internship Program provides graduate students and postdocs the opportunity to assist our Licensing professionals in commercializing UT inventions. Through this experience working in the technology transfer office the intern will develop an understanding of intellectual property law, technology evaluation, and licensing methods and techniques. The intensive training program provided by UTRF to successful applicants will assist them in developing an understanding of intellectual property law, market and industry analysis, and licensing methods and techniques.
2015 Commercialization Analyst position:
- Application Deadline: May 15, 2015
- Start Date: June 1, 2015
- (UTHSC) Internship Application
Description of Internship Role
- Screening and evaluating new technology disclosed by UT faculty and staff to determine a technology’s commercial potential.
- Graduate students, professional school students, or postdoctoral fellows. (Students must be 3rd year or beyond.)
- All applicants must have the written approval of their advisor/PI.
- Candidates must be U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced research capabilities (not just Google)
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Participate in inventor interviews
- Intellectual property analysis
- Market and industry analysis
- Development of marketing materials
- Targeted Marketing
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Cover letter expressing interest in the position
- Letter of approval from advisor
- 8-10 hrs/wk for 6 months
- $15/hour paid as an offset of grant funds, not as additional payment to intern.