UTRF’s Knoxville office is seeking an Assistant/Associate/Full Technology Manager with a background in STEM who is interested in bringing early-stage technologies to market.
Reporting to the Vice President of UTRF, the Technology Manager will be involved in all aspects of the technology transfer process.
Specifically, the Technology Manager will be responsible for:
- Building relationships with researchers to identify new intellectual property.
- Performing comprehensive and strategic evaluations of technologies, including determinations of patentability, commercial potential, and path-to-market.
- Managing patent preparation and prosecution. This includes selection of external patent counsel, working with the researchers, patent coordinator to file applications prior to publication dates, and overseeing ongoing prosecution.
- Developing and deploying an effective marketing strategy to attract industry partners.
- Negotiating commercialization agreements.
- Overseeing active licenses to ensure licensee compliance.
- Promoting and supporting faculty and student entrepreneurship.
Position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM discipline plus 5 years of relevant professional experience, or a Master’s degree in STEM discipline or higher.
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple projects.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to quickly understand unfamiliar research and technologies.
Due to export control restrictions, the successful candidate must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien with a green card.
- PhD in STEM.
- MBA, JD, or Patent Agent.
- Familiarity with intellectual property law.
- Experience in STEM.
- 2+ years of experience in intellectual property management and technology transfer.
- Experience working in/with technology startup(s) or business incubators.
- Familiarity with or experience in a university research environment and capacity to analyze complex research programs.
For full consideration, the submission must include a cover letter, resume, and references.