The University of Tennessee Research Foundation is the technology transfer office for the University of Tennessee. Through offices in Knoxville and Memphis, UTRF manages the commercialization of inventions and discoveries developed across the UT system. UTRF’s objective is to identify and protect UT intellectual property that represents potential products and services and to find private sector partners to bring those new products and services to market.
The role of marketing at UTRF is to raise the profile of the Office, the University, and our portfolio of technologies to audiences both internal and external. The Marketing Coordinator manages UTRF marketing efforts by designing and implementing marketing and communications strategies.
The Marketing Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that UTRF’s communications effectively reach a broad audience of stakeholders including UT faculty, staff, and students; University administration; UT alumni and supporters; potential licensees; and key opinion leaders such as elected officials, the University’s Board of Trustees, and other technology transfer offices.
The Marketing Coordinator must be an independent worker with the ability to manage multiple projects and provide UTRF licensing staff across the state with marketing, communications, and graphic design services. However, the successful candidate will not be just a hard worker, but someone who demonstrates the capability to think critically and assist UTRF management in developing and executing a strategy for raising UTRF’s internal and external profile.
1. Administer the UTRF websites (feature stories, blog posts etc.).
2. Direct publicity efforts including identifying opportunities to collaborate with internal and external partners to reach larger audiences.
3. Design, write, edit and distribute collateral materials including reports, technology brochures, how-to handbooks, newsletters, and other UTRF documents.
4. Work with the UTRF licensing staff to develop and implement specific marketing strategies for individual technologies or technology bundles.
5. Plan, advertise and implement UTRF-hosted campus events, including seminars, presentations from external speakers, coffee breaks and more.
6. Create and manage a comprehensive social media strategy.
7. Coordinate with other public affairs, marketing, communications and corporate development professionals at UT to ensure that all UTRF materials and messages support the overall University brand.
8. Manage office tradeshow exhibits, including supervision of the creation of marketing materials and interfacing with tradeshow representatives.
9. Other duties as needed.
* Bachelor’s degree required, a preferred field of study in communications, journalism, digital media, marketing, or equivalent.
* 2+ years of marketing and/or communications experience in a professional setting preferred,
* Candidates should be prepared to provide sample work demonstrating writing, editing, and graphic design skills.
* Science/technology communications experienced preferred, but not required.
Please apply with cover letter and resume.
Information Technology Professional
UT Research Foundation