Licensing Assistant, University of Tennessee Research Foundation
Pay Grade 43 / Exempt
The University of Tennessee Research Foundation (UTRF) is a not-for-profit corporation whose mission is to encourage innovation, enhance research, and facilitate economic development by commercializing intellectual property created within the University of Tennessee System.
Working under the day-to-day supervision of UTRF Assistant Vice President of Licensing of the Knoxville office and in collaboration with the entire UTRF team, the Licensing Assistant will be expected to support the technology evaluation, protection, marketing, and commercialization efforts of early stage technologies. This is an entry-level technology transfer position that is suitable for recent graduates or people seeking to begin a career in the field.
The duties of the Licensing Assistant will be:
• Building relationships with faculty, staff, and students across campus to identify inventions and increase invention disclosures.
• Performing comprehensive evaluations of inventions, including determinations of patentability, commercial potential, and path-to-market.
• Managing patent preparation and prosecution.
• Marketing inventions to prospective licensees.
• Negotiating commercialization agreements.
• Overseeing active licenses to ensure licensee compliance.
• Advanced degree, preferably Ph.D., in Engineering, Physical Sciences, and Life Sciences.
• Ability to quickly understand unfamiliar research and technologies.
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently while managing multiple projects.
• Due to exposure to technologies that may involve data and information subject to export control restrictions, applicant must be a U. S. citizen or resident alien with a green card.
• Preference for Engineering or Physical Sciences background
• Familiarity with basics of intellectual property law.
• Experience working with databases.
• Research experience.
Direct link to apply: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_knoxville/jobdetail.ftl?job=16000001O9